How to Refute a Negative Decision

Have you recently heard disappointing news from the visa office? If you have reason to believe that the visa officer’s negative decision was unfair, then you can contest it – and here’s how.

  1. You’ll can appeal to the immigration and refugee board (IRB). This method is normally relevant if you have applied (and been denied) for a Family Class Application. Bear in mind that you will need to file your Appeal documentation within 30 days of hearing the news from the visa office.
  2. Alternatively, you can appeal to the Federal court – but you will usually need to do so within 15 to 60 days from the date the decision was released. Bear in mind that Federal Court deadlines are incredibly strict, and even if it has been 60 days and 1 hour, your window for appeal is closed.

We know you’re disappointed, but this isn’t necessarily the end of the road.

To learn more about the visa rejection appeal process and how you could still get reviewed and approved, get in touch with us today! We have years of experience in front of the Federal court, and we would be honoured to have the opportunity to analyze your unique situation and make your appeal our next success story!


Recent Representative Cases

M. v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2021 FC 1211 (CanLII)

An immigration appeal to the Federal Court is called an “application for leave and for judicial review” and is a two-step process.

How Can We Help You?

Access our all-encompassing consultation for immigrants looking to move to Canada.