Spousal, Partner, or Child Sponsorship

Family reunification is one of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s highest priorities.   

Before you can sponsor your spouse, partner, or child for permanent residence in Canada, you will first need to qualify as a sponsor – and there are several steps in this process.

  • Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident;
  • Be at least 18 years old;
  • Live in Canada or if you are a citizen, then you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a Permanent Resident;
  • Fulfil all Quebec’s specific laws surrounding spousal, partner, or child sponsorship (should you reside in Quebec)

You must be able to prove that you make a sufficient income to sustain the basic living needs of the spouse, partner, and/or child(ren) you will be sponsoring in Canada.


You cannot be a sponsor if you:

  • A Were sponsored by a spouse or partner and became a Permanent Resident less than five years ago;
  • Were sponsored by a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a Permanent Resident;
  • Are in default of a previous sponsorship undertaking;
  • Are in the process of a bankruptcy proceeding;
  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability;
  • Were convicted of a violent or sexual offence or are in jail;
  • Are under a removal order; or
  • Have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision has not yet been made.

Anyone who wishes to sponsor their spouse or partner must be at least 18 years of age and able to prove that their relationship is genuine. Should you wish to sponsor a child, this minor must be under 22 years of age and unmarried. There are exceptions to this rule, however, such as a mentally or physically challenged person who is 22 years old but dependent on the parent’s financial support. Such a child could qualify for sponsorship even though they exceed the previously stated age limitation.

Once the sponsorship application is underway, any sponsored family members over the age of 18 must submit police certificates and undergo a medical exam.

Sponsorship Streams

When applying for sponsorship, there are two possible streams that may be relevant to your situation:

  • Overseas Sponsorship Application: For spouses or partners who reside beyond Canadian borders.
  • In-Land Sponsorship Application: For spouses or partners living in Canada. Applicants in this category may also be eligible to apply for a work permit once the sponsorship application has been filed.

Medical Examinations

The Applicant and each of his/her dependents (whether accompanying the Applicant or not) is required to undergo a Medical Examination. The Medical Examination must be performed by a physician who has been approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to perform these important exams. The Applicant and each dependent must pass the Medical Examination, therefore showing that none of them has a medical condition that creates a danger to public health, or would cause significant demands on Canada’s health and/or social services.

Police Certificates

Each Applicant and dependent over the age of eighteen (18) must provide police clearances from each country in which they have resided for more than six months. The Applicant may have to consult various Consulates, Embassies and High Commissions for countries where difficulties arise in obtaining the required clearances.

If you would like your spouse, partner, or child to join you in Canada – and you are ready to sponsor their permanent residence – then let’s get started as soon as possible. Contact us today to schedule your first consultation. The sooner you get in touch, the sooner we can file your application and get your loved ones closer to you!

We offer a range of exclusive services to help you to immigrate to Canada beginning with an assessment of your Canadian immigration eligibility to easing your settlement in Canada.

How Can We Help You?

We offer a range of exclusive services to help you to immigrate to Canada.